Monday 25 September 2017

Music video remake // Evaluation

Research and planning

Audience Pre - Production/Content (inspiration)

During the pre production of our music video, I looked at various examples of music videos to help give me inspiration and an understanding of the common themes and styles of music videos, and it also gave me a clear insight of the common conventions of the music videos, I have done lots of research before as there's lots of music video conventions that re used throughout the industry. Since I was watching many various types of videos I gained much more knowledge of music videos such as the locations and setting, and even the abstract themes and genres, which heavily inspired my remake of Purple Ape/Rap God in our music video remake. I also learnt about the typical lighting and mise-en-scene that is used for these videos and colour grading/actors, which are different in many different types of genres and themes. Having these conventions and other various styles is very important for the music video industry as the video will have to appeal to the audience in many different ways. Gathering audience opinions such as questionnaires would have been useful but since it was only a small remake and time limitations, I stuck with the idea and went to pursue to remake it, since I had seen many music videos as examples I had a great understanding of how it works and I felt fairly confident of recreating it.

Logistics

In terms of our actors, locations and props are genre is abstract so the use of the locations and actors wasn't heavily used and since it was a test for our real music video we didn't have too much time to plan and prepare our music video.This was all done with the planning of the shooting script, from the pre production.For more of my pre production you can read the blog posted earlier.The shooting script was a very useful and had a huge part of our music video remake as it had all the elements that we wanted to film our shots, and all the shots were all detailed in a organised order.My and partner had inputs of what we wanted for shooting script and we both collaborated with it.

Conventions

Camera and editing style

For the use of conventions I developed a much more wider knowledge of common conventions during the making of Remake evaluation as I hadn't studies music videos as a topic before.I had created a post all about the typical conventions of music videos which is very useful for my planning and organisation of future shots for my music video, and for creating this music video remake.The post explored many various conventions such as narrative, linear and they were found in examples of music videos that I listed with a analysis.For the use of camera language and editing I follow the styles of abstract music videos keeping true to the formula such as close ups of the artist promoting the artists identity and branding.

Mise-en-scene

The mise-en-scene is a huge part of music videos but since my music video was very abstract and the shots that were used contained lots of special effects this altered the setting and location making it much more serial, so we didn't invest much time into our mise-en-scene that much as it was only a test and it was going to be digitally altered

Creativity

For the creativity  the skills I developed d was a linear video, that followed a narrative sequence from the beginning, but since our music remake was abstract themed it allowed me to create a much more confusing and non structured story line as it was meant to be a surreal experience.Most of the surreal elements were mostly digital so most of the locations and props were altered to fit the surreal theme.

Post-Production

During the post production I developed many skills to fit the conventions that I wanted to include within my music video, such as the close ups(camera language) and cutting to the beat with surreal special effects. I  also added colour grading to our music video to give it a professional finish and look to the video, as it was contrasts to the video and it also fits the surreal theme as it manipulates the colours and changes them.

Graphics/Special Effects


For our special effects we added many digital effects to make our music remake much more surreal and followed the similar styles of Rap God and Purple Ape.There was lots of holographic and distortion effects added to the footage to make it much more surreal and the colours of the effects such as bright blues and purples were added to increase this surreal experience for the audience, we made sure that the Special effects were following the typical style and conventions of music videos.

Digital Technology

Hardware/Software

For our Post-production and production process we used cameras such as the Canon EOS 750D with a 18-55mm lens and and we also used software such as Adobe After effects for the Digital editing and Special Effects, I was very used to these programs and technology that I was very fluent and used to the way it functions, but what I did learn was the visual style that I was going for and keeping it true the Original music video origin.






No comments:

Post a Comment